Monday, July 12, 2010

Huercal Overa: Que Locura!

Yesterday started out being the worst day ever. Both Lindsay and I were sick - Lindsay has a cold or something I think, but I was just super dizzy and nauseas and it was not fun. I couldn't really do any work so I just sat around and deshelled almonds and cleaned things. After lunch I took a long nap, and didn't really feel better afterwards :(

Eventually later in the afternoon I went and threw up and then everything was fine.

Lindsay, Esther and I went into Huercal Overa to watch the epic final partido of the world cup. We sat outside of the town's two bars again; most of the town was out watching the game with us in the church plaza. Everyone was decked out in their world cup t shirts, Spanish flag capes, and tons of red and yellow face paint. The ninos were all screaming the entire time and blowing into their horns and noisemakers. The walls of the bar were covered in Spanish flags as well. Everyone was eating and drinking and yelling and so excited the entire time. It was wonderful!

As it turns out, I could not have been luckier with my timing for this trip. Not only am I having the most wonderful time here in Spain, but I got to be here for the MOST EPIC SPANISH WORLD CUP VICTORY EVER. The game went into overtime before either team scored, and when Spain finally made the one and only goal, all of Huercal Overa went nuts! Everyone was jumping and yelling and making noise and pouring beer and it was glorious. We sat through the next three minutes, all eyes completely fixed on the screen. Then the match ended, and Spain was declared the winners of the world cup!

Everyone in Huercal Overa came out and ran into the plaza, screaming and jumping and making noise and running and celebrating. All of a sudden everyone was in the fountain in front of the church, Lindsay and I included. We jumped and screamed and hugged and got wet and sang with the locals. We ran around the plaza singing and screaming and playing in the water, joining a conga line and almost exploding with the firecrackers that were being set off far too close to us every few seconds. It was epic.

Lots of pictures and videos from this night - of course I'm sure it was a thousand times crazier in Madrid, but those Huercal Overans...que locura!

No comments:

Post a Comment