Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lots of New Experiences!

On Monday, I woke up as usual (which is slightly earlier now, around 8/9 am, depending on my mood). I have been acting as camarera for the huespedes this past week, preparing and serving their breakfasts each day. I like it because I get to organize the food in pretty arrangements (not THAT exciting; breakfast is pretty much just bread and coffee - different kinds of bread though). I don't like that I also get to wash everyone's dishes afterward, but it's ok - I've become a rather efficient dish washer.

ANYWAY. I woke up on Monday, and went into the kitchen for breakfast, where I was pleasantly greeted by a bucket of raw meat. And by raw meat I mean FRESHLY SLAUGHTERED BUNNIES. Skinned bunnies. With the little black eyeballs still there. I have officially learned what purpose the bunnies serve on our farm.

Lola caught me staring with horror at the bunnies, who looked just like regular happy bunnies mid jump, except for the fact that they were bloody and skinless. She told me that I would have to learn how to kill a bunny myself if I wanted to leave this farm a true campesina. I told her no.

Since it was Monday, we went into town again for the market. As always, it was full of wonderful things and people and I wanted to buy everything. I came home with a few more goodies, including a new cortina for our shower to replace the moldy one we have right now. It was long overdue.

On Tuesday, we worked all morning to have the afternoon free. In the afternoon, Esther, Lindsay and I took a little trip to Mojacar, because the closest bank Esther can go to is in that town. We had some time to explore the pueblo, which is super tiny and located on a mountain overlooking the ocean. There are no cars, and most of the streets are narrow and sloped. Potted plants and flowers hung from the sides of buildings, most of which were painted white. It was BEAUTIFUL. We went into a few of the shops, which were filled with wonderful little trinkets and clothes. We're going to go back because it was so amazing.

One of my favorite things about this farm is that we can live largely off of our own land: the vegetables come from the huerto, we get fruit from Lola's parents, we make our own bread, we clean our wastewater to use for the plants, we eat one of the weeds (sala), and today we ate cactus!!

There are gigantic cacti growing all around the property, and Lola cut off a few branches (? is that what they are called?) to make chumberas for lunch. We took off the pinchos and cooked them and they were surprisingly delicious!

One final note: the cats of the house are both pregnant and very fat. Today, one of the cats came out and was really skinny and had lots of floppy belly skin - she gave birth last night! We can't see the little gatitas for about a week, but I'm super excited. The other cat is looking pretty plump too, so I'm hoping she will da a luz pronto as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment